1934 K-Date Mauser S/42 Rig
SOLD

PHOENIX INVESTMENT ARMS - PREMIUM COLLECTOR LUGERS
Genuine German Luger - Largest Variety of Lugers Offered
Home | Post WWI DWM | Erfurt Lugers | Mauser | Simson Suhl | Krieghoff | Vickers, Ltd | Swiss Bern | Other Guns
Bottom of Page

K-Date Luger

This is a 1934 Pistole 08 military Parabellum manufactured by Mauser. As a K-Date  this is one of first military contract Lugers produced by Mauser. This Luger is a 4 inch (100mm) 9mm Parabellum.  To conceal production a series of alphabetical dates were assigned in addition to the code on the toggle S/42 (Mauser).  ''K" dates are representative of the Lugers produced in 1934; this is an all-matching gun including two magazines and a serial numbered holster. (1981)

NOTE: Photographs taken today with the high mega-pixel camera show more than we sometimes can see with the human eye. Magnified close-ups show us tool marks and natural surface conditions that one normally doesn't see in the ordinary handling of the weapon.  Photographs are copyrighted, all rights reserved, any extraction, reproduction or display of gun pictures without the express consent of the Phoenix Investment Arms is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation. Please see "Legal" for terms of sale.

 

 

K-Date Luger

The thumb safety is new style, and strawed with the Gothic "S" on the bottom and the last two digits of the serial number on top. The finish is 98% Blued and 98% straw blued and  has a hold open latch and stock lug. This Luger has all matching numbers including the magazine. The gun has a numbered hold-open and the stock lug.  

This is a standard 1934 Model gun designated by collectors as the "K" Date Mauser. The first toggle link is marked with the S/42 Mauser code.  There is the "V" rear sight on the rear toggle link and the last two digits of the serial number appear. 

Note Above: The Gothic "S" on the bottom of the thumb safety and the Ö37 on the bottom of the magazine, very unusual on the slide stop lug.

Above Left: The Barrel is matched to the gun with the gauge 8.82mm stamped representing the distance of the lands.  The 3383 serial puts this K-Date  early in the 2nd variation of the K-Dates however, it does confirm Jan Still's criteria of the change from Scriptic S to Gothic S on the parts. It has been stated that the Gothic "S" began to appear at serial number +1700 and here we have a K-Date 3383 production piece with both thee Gothic "S" the "Scriptic "S". Above Right: Additionally you have the early Mauser Ö37 proof in the bottom of the matching magazine.
This view gives us the opportunity to see the "S" marked on the top of the second toggle, first toggle, extractor, the righ side of the receiver, very tiny on the ejector, the side of the trigger, and magazine release. This method of proofing every part in the early pre-war days is a tribute to the early craftsman of Mauser.

Serial number placement is in the military ("exposed") style.   The serial number appears on the front of the frame, on the side of the locking bolt, on the trigger, on the bottom of the barrel, the side plate,  the left side of the receiver, the safety bar, the sear bar, the rear connecting pin, and on the extractor.

 

Mauser-Werke and Berliner-Karlsruher Industrie-Werke (BKIW), [BKIW was the successor to DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken)] had common ownership.  In 1930 the machinery, technicians and supplies were moved from Berlin-Wittenau to Oberndorf and BKIW's interest in the Parabellum ceased.  In 1934 Mauser obtained its first contract for 10,930 with the K-Date over the chamber.  For the collector there are four variations of the K-Date.

 

The inside of the gun is minty clean with no signs of deterioration for its age and exhibits that craftsmanship of the early Mauser production.  The frame shows the signs of being made by DWM with no "hump"  to protect the rear main axel pin or the dimple in the milling of the stock lug, both of which were caracter of Mauser production in their variations.

Above Left: In 1933 the Reichsministerium ordered that the rear main toggle axel be numbered to the gun. We can see from this frame the lack of the latter produced 2mm addition to the Mauser frames. this tells us that this was an old DWM produced by DWM from old stocks. Above Right: On the end of the barrel is another "S" only found on "K"-Dates.

The Gothic "S" is displayed on the rear and 1st toggle, on the extractor, the ejector, the trigger, and the receiver. The Scriptic "S" is visible on the S/42 and the magazine release.

Some believe that the assemblymen for Erfurt were the ones hired to begin work on the Mauser contracts.  Erfurt had the procedure of proofing all the small parts on the Parabellum in WWI. There is nothing current found in German regulations that required these tiny proofs and it was discontinued during the K-Date contract period. Just another reason these are the highly desirable variations.

The side plate has the Scriptic "S" and the bottom of the thumb safety is marked with the Gothic "S" which illustrates that during the transition of the protocol for marking the Parabellum the changes were made with existing parts. A ) is the  proof found on the receiver and other parts, B) Geladen appears on the extractor Fire blued pin with a Gothic "S" on the Sear (D) and Sear Stop (E). The Gothic "S" also appears on the locking lever.  This is the crown jewel in any Mauser collection.

At this serial number we can see the mix of Gothic and Scriptic "S" on the extractor, the first and second toggle and the S/42 in the old style and the balance in the new. Quite an exquisite look into the history of the K-Date.
The breach block has the last two digits of the serial number and the early Waffenampt Droop wing eagle while the firing pin connector has the Scriptic S and you can see the serial numbered firing pin. Note the Gothic "S" on the breach block. Just a Classic.

Here is the proof display on the right side of the receiver with the original full markings of the transitional "S" and  Ö][37 proofs.

 

In early 1930 production was begun by Mauser in Oberndorf with the transfer of  the tooling and equipment from BKIW (DWM) factory in Berlin to Mauser-Werke. The first order was for the Dutch in November 1930 and then the American Eagle orders for A. F. Stoeger.  From 1930 until 1934 Mauser assembled many thousands of Lugers from DWM parts and stocks, plus reworked other for the paramilitary groups and the police.  Mauser proof marks left a trail across many Lugers.

 

The holster is subtle and well stitched.  The internal loading tool pouch has an extra flap to hold down a loading tool that has a small covered pouch and then the cleaning tool strap extends through the loop and uses the same stud for the end. 

Clearly seen is the manufacturer's cartouche indicating production date of 1934 and it came from Stuttgart.  On the left of the cartouche is the dooped wing early Waffenamt proof of German military acceptance.

Above Left: The Loading Tool which inverted sets over the ring of the magazine button  and the then bottom is used to push down the follower to load the magazine; is marked with an Early Ö][37 proof. Above Right: This rig contains two matching magazines with the Early Ö][37 appearing and the 2nd marked "+" the designation for the second magazine. 

The cleaning rod was included in only the K-Date holster and it was then discontinued. Note the Brass tip and short handle to fit inside the top of the holster.
In 1933 the Reichsministerium ordered that the rear main toggle axel be numbered to the gun. Here also you can see the Gothic "S" on the sear.
Above Left: The firing pin has the Scriptic "S" and the last two digits of the serial number, indicating this is an orginal part of the gun.  Above Right: The breachblock has the last two digits of the serial number and the Mauser Waffenamt proof.
On the bottom of the stock lug is the Ö][37 proof, found on all the original frames that were inspected by the factory.

 

 In 1934 Mauser got it's first Military P-08 contract from the German Government. So was born the first military Mauser Luger, the "K" date of which it was estimated 10,900 were made. These were the 1934 production designation "K". 600 were pulled for the German Navy (Kriegsmarine).

Beginning in 1935 Mauser began by marking the guns with the "G".  From the "G" series beginning approximately with 930a to 5000f, (in blocks of 10,000) for approximately 54,700 guns, 700 were pulled out for the German Kriegsmarine and so marked.

 

Every WWII Luger collector must have a "K-Date" in their collection.  This was the first official order for the Parabellum ordered by the German Wehrmacht and it is reported on 10,930 were made with the "K" over the chamber.  There were 4 variations; this Parabellum representing the 2nd variation with a mix of Scriptic and Gothic "S" on the various parts with a reported production from 1700-5250 with approximately 3550 produced. So, why are these so highly treasured? This is one of 3550 that survived the war, came to the US and is in splendid condition.
Above is the Gothic "S" on the hold open device.  These Parabellum were marked in the military fashing or exposed on all the parts with the inspectors proofs.

 Above Left: Under the thumb safey the Gothic "S" is revealed. Right Above: The grips are original and serial numbered to the gun.

Included in this offering is an all matching early K-Date with the Scriptic "S" proof on all the major parts, two matching magazines, an "S" marked loading tool, a brass tipped cleaning rod in a 1934 proofed & numbered holster with the proofed cleaning rod pouch.   One of the most complete K-Date rigs we have ever seen.

On some parts we have the Gothic "S" and on other parts the Scriptic "S"

Above: You can see the Scriptic S/42 followed on the rear toggle with the Gothic "S" and below is the Gothic "S" on locking lever

On the barrel is the Ö37 the first proof that Mauser used on these contract guns.  We insert a dummy cartridge in the chamber to both show how the extractor (Geladen - Loaded) becomes extended and the disconnect of the sear safety with the side plate removed. The Extractor (Geladen) tells the shooter the gun is loaded both by sight and by feel.

When the president of Germany, Paul von Hindenburg, appointed Der Fürher Adolph Hitler chancellor of Germany on January 30, 1933 a national rearmament immediately began and the old professional gun makers set to work to apply their craftsmanship to war time production for an ever expanding demand.  The K-Date (1934) was Mauser's first order and borrowing from the traditions of Erfurt and Simson they marked most every part of the gun with some proof or another.  This was slowly reduced as standardization and time studies indicated a lesser need for all the double proofing. A much sought after piece for the Mauser collector with a "K" Date a crown jewel in anyone's collection.

 

This is a nearly impossible to find K-Date Luger early variation in this excellent condition. This Parabellum is offered with the all-matching K-Date, the 2nd Matching Magazine, the Matching & numbered 1934 Marked Holster, the matching Ö][37 proofing, an proofed loading tool. This Luger is identified as a curio and can be send directly to C&R licensees and above.  Just minty and offered for $7,295.00 over the counter with the reservation that the gun may be sold before being posted as such on the internet.

We reserve the right to sell any internet offering to a direct sale and do not warrant the availability of any firearm that does not have a physical deposit. This gun may be withdrawn without notice for in-store sale. Call for availability Any questions or request for additional pictures email to josef@phoenixinvestmentarms.com.

 

 

Home | New Additions | 1900-06 | WWI Imperial | Carbines | Artillery | Imperial Navy | Police Models | Archived Lugers | Accessories
Sell Your Gun | Notices | Good Info (C&R) | Ordering | Contact Us | Gun Shows | Legal Stuff | Testimonials | Notices | Holsters | Books

Top of Page

© Copyright 2001-2016  Phoenix Investment Arms Inc.