1900 Swiss Commercial Luger 

Genuine German Luger - Largest Variety of Lugers Offered
Home | Post WWI DWM | Erfurt Lugers | Mauser | Simson Suhl | Krieghoff | Vickers, Ltd | Swiss Bern | Other Guns
Bottom of Page

This is a 1900 Model Swiss Contract manufactured by DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitions Fabriken) in Berlin. The early Lugers produced for the Swiss were all commercial and when the Luger was adopted as a official sidearm in 1901 the military version were created. This is the classic 7.65mm Luger with the old frame, 120mm pencil barrel, long sear, steel spring flat extractor and dished toggles to name a few of the characteristics of the early 1900 Luger. (1548)


NOTE: Photographs taken today with the high mega-pixel camera show more than we sometimes can see with the human eye. Magnified close-ups show us tool marks and natural surface conditions that one normally doesn't see in the ordinary handling of the weapon.  Photographs are copyrighted, all rights reserved, any extraction, reproduction or display of gun pictures without the express consent of the Phoenix Investment Arms is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.


This Parabellum is 7.65mm which was the preferred caliber for accuracy at that time. It has the 4 3/4" (120mm)barrel insisted by the Swiss. (Standard DWM manufacture was 118mm).  The extractor is spring steel and the thumb safety was buffed. The trigger guard is the wide version and the trigger is the narrow and beginning in this series it is moved more to the center to accommodate both left and right handed shooter.

This example has all matching serial numbers and is of the long frame without the stock lug and it has matching walnut grips.  The first toggle link is marked with the DWM monogram, and there is the "V" rear sight on the last toggle link. Also it has the Swiss "plugged" magazine characteristic of the Swiss military Parabellum.  This was the 5,212rd commercial Luger made by DWM.

See Kenyon -  Lugers at Random, Page 54         See Bobba - Technical History of Swiss Lugers

The rear toggle has the original "V" sight. The Swiss were fond of modifying the rear sight by rounding out the sight to a pronounced "U" for their target shooters.  This one is preserved in the original condition.


Numbering:  DWM numbered their commercial guns consecutively from 00 in 1900 to approximately 73500 in 1923 when the last pre-war commercials left off. From delivery records we can place the date of manufacture pretty accurately.  Contract guns had their own serial number sequence and although evidence shows two guns manufactured in the same month one  as a commercial  and another contract will bear a different series of number.

The Swiss kept very accurate records of the guns they received. The first 2,000 weapons were received at KMV between 1901 and very early 1903.  They were characterized by the early Type I thumb safety and the serial numbers began between 750 and 1000.


Collectors prize the guns that are BUG proofed.  The Crown B (Beschuß) means the barrels were tested using a heavier load in accordance with the 1892 proof law. The Crown U (Untersuchung) means it was inspected after assembly and the Crown G (Gozogen) means a rifled barrel, (see above under the barrel).

The right side reveals the locking toggle available on the 1900-03 models. There is a slight latch that the spring loaded toggle lock the prevented the toggle from bending prematurely. When fired the entire barrel assembly moves rearward and disengaged the toggle lock assembly as recoil begins.

Only in 1900 were the Lugers made with the narrow grip safety, the Type I Flat checkered thumb safety. In the locking well there is the DWM proverbial "smoking bomb" proof erroneously associated with the US Ordinance proof when identified on the 1900 American Eagle test gun.  Made years before the US Test Series this clearly is a DWM Proof. (Below)


The first two thousand pistols manufactured by DWM were the only ones delivered to the Swiss military administration already finished and matriculated. The military contract was delivered to the Waffenfabrik in Bern which then numbered, inspected and proofed the Lugers before finishing them in Switzerland.


Here we can see the Crown B, U, G proofs under the barrel and the Crown B, U on the receiver.  The numbers are applied in the "hidden" matter as customary of DWM Commercial guns.  There is no Swiss Cross to indicate inspection by the Waffenfabrik in Bern and no export markings.

Above Left the underside of the side plate and locking lever reveal the "hidden" numbers of the civilian production.  On the thumb safety is the Type II thumb safety which is noted as a short cross checkered surface and is usally found on the 400-7000 range.  Very rare and prized by collectors.


Toggle Lock: After moving roughly 0.5 in (13 mm) rearward, the toggle strikes a cam built into the frame, causing the knee joint to hinge and the toggle and breech assembly to unlock. At this point the barrel impacts the frame and stops its rearward movement, but the toggle assembly continues moving (bending the knee joint) due to momentum, extracting the spent casing from the chamber and ejecting it. The toggle and breech assembly subsequently travel forward under spring tension and the next round from the magazine is loaded into the chamber. The entire sequence occurs in a fraction of a second.


The bore is shiny with only very minor evidence of characteristic pitting from corrosive primers used in those days. No import markings nor Swiss release stampings or dates. The grip safety is serial numbered to the gun and you can see the leaf main spring and long sear.  Just a very clean example of the very early 1900 Swiss Commercial Parabellum.  All matching serial numbers and a Swiss style magazine.

Above we can see the "B" "U" proofs on the side of the receiver and the last two digits of the serial number on the trigger and the squeeze grip safety.  There were two lines of production at DWM and the early "B" "U" "G" proof markings have always been sought out by the collectors.

On the Left we can see the toggle in the fully extended recoil with the "B" "U" proof on the 1st toggle link. On the Right is the close up of the toggle lock unique to the 1900 which held the toggle in place until the gun was fired beginning the rearward movement of the barrel assembly.

There is evidence that the Swiss would enlarge the rear sight by converting it to a "U" instead of a "V".  Some writers say the small Swiss cross in front of the sight indicates this is mark of the change but here we have a very early military accepted gun and the rear sight is still a "V", unaltered. Here you can see the small grip safety only found on the truly early 1900 manufactured guns.  This one is truly a classic.

It is entirely subjective to give any Luger a rating of excellent or fine, just as it is to declare it xx% blued or strawed. Few Lugers are out of the box new and these are premium priced. Bluing percentages is like Beauty, in the eye of the beholder.  We strive to provide pictures so you can judge for yourself if the gun meets your criteria.


This pristine early Swiss Commercial Luger represents the Classic Luger with the pencil thin barrel and 120mm length in a 7.65mm caliber. This 1900 is SOLD but we have other 1900's available, please call for availability.