1900 Swiss Commercial Wide Trigger Luger 

Genuine German Luger - Largest Variety of Lugers Offered
Home | Post WWI DWM | Erfurt Lugers | Mauser | Simson Suhl | Krieghoff | Vickers, Ltd | Swiss Bern | Other Guns
Bottom of Page

This is a 1900 Model Swiss Contract manufactured by DWM (Deutsche Waffen und Munitions Fabriken) in Berlin. The early Lugers produced for the Swiss were all commercial and when the Luger was adopted as a official sidearm in 1901 the military version were created. This is the classic 7.65mm Luger with the old frame, 120mm pencil barrel, long sear, steel spring flat extractor and dished toggles to name a few of the characteristics of the early 1900 Luger. (1581)


NOTE: Photographs taken today with the high mega-pixel camera show more than we sometimes can see with the human eye. Magnified close-ups show us tool marks and natural surface conditions that one normally doesn't see in the ordinary handling of the weapon.  Photographs are copyrighted, all rights reserved, any extraction, reproduction or display of gun pictures without the express consent of the Phoenix Investment Arms is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.


This Parabellum is 7.65mm which was the preferred caliber for accuracy at that time. It has the 4 3/4" (120mm)barrel insisted by the Swiss. (Standard DWM manufacture was 118mm).  The extractor is spring steel and the thumb safety was buffed. The trigger guard is the wide version and the trigger is the wide and beginning in this series it is moved more to the center to accommodate both left and right handed shooter.

This example has all matching serial numbers and is of the long frame without the stock lug and it has matching walnut grips.  The first toggle link is marked with the DWM monogram, and there is the "V" rear sight on the last toggle link. Also it has the Swiss "plugged" magazine characteristic of the Swiss military Parabellum.  This was the 2304th commercial Luger made by DWM.

See Kenyon -  Lugers at Random, Page 54         See Bobba - Technical History of Swiss Lugers

The rear toggle has the original "V" sight. The Swiss were fond of modifying the rear sight by rounding out the sight to a pronounced "U" for their target shooters.  This one is preserved in the original condition.


Numbering:  DWM numbered their commercial guns consecutively from 00 in 1900 to approximately 73500 in 1923 when the last pre-war commercials left off. From delivery records we can place the date of manufacture pretty accurately.  Contract guns had their own serial number sequence and although evidence shows two guns manufactured in the same month one  as a commercial  and another contract will bear a different series of number.

The Swiss kept very accurate records of the guns they received. The first 2,000 weapons were received at KMV between 1901 and very early 1903.  They were characterized by the early Type I thumb safety and the serial numbers began between 750 and 1000.


This is a very low serial numbered gun, delivered in 1903 with a "Swiss" magazine, blank bottom.

The right side reveals the locking toggle available on the 1900-03 models. There is a slight latch that the spring loaded toggle lock the prevented the toggle from bending prematurely. When fired the entire barrel assembly moves rearward and disengaged the toggle lock assembly as recoil begins.

Only in 1900 were the Lugers made with the narrow grip safety, the Type I Flat checkered thumb safety. In the locking well there is the DWM proverbial "smoking bomb" proof erroneously associated with the US Ordinance proof when identified on the 1900 American Eagle test gun.  Made years before the US Test Series this clearly is a DWM Proof. (Below) the inspector's number, and the hold open.


The first two thousand pistols manufactured by DWM were the only ones delivered to the Swiss military administration already finished and matriculated. The military contract was delivered to the Waffenfabrik in Bern which then numbered, inspected and proofed the Lugers before finishing them in Switzerland.


 The numbers are applied in the "hidden" matter as customary of DWM Commercial guns.  There is a Swiss Cross to indicate inspection by the Waffenfabrik in Bern for military use and no export markings.

Above Left the underside of the side plate and locking lever reveal the "hidden" numbers of the civilian production.  On the thumb safety is the Type III thumb safety which is noted as a short barrel striped  surface and is usually found on the 20000- range.  Very rare and prized by collectors.

This holster was born on the belt, built by J. Mengisen of Bern, shows belt wear while it came with the sling straps for the skier. The holster is soft and pliable and in minty condition.


Toggle Lock: After moving roughly 0.5 in (13 mm) rearward, the toggle strikes a cam built into the frame, causing the knee joint to hinge and the toggle and breech assembly to unlock. At this point the barrel impacts the frame and stops its rearward movement, but the toggle assembly continues moving (bending the knee joint) due to momentum, extracting the spent casing from the chamber and ejecting it. The toggle and breech assembly subsequently travel forward under spring tension and the next round from the magazine is loaded into the chamber. The entire sequence occurs in a fraction of a second.


The bore is shiny with only very minor evidence of characteristic pitting from corrosive primers used in those days. No import markings nor Swiss release stampings or dates. The grip safety is serial numbered to the gun and you can see the leaf main spring and long sear.  Just a very clean example of the very early 1900 Swiss Commercial Parabellum.  All matching serial numbers and a Swiss style magazine.

The Wide Trigger is listed as beginning in the 3500 serial block. Believed to make it easier for the left or right handed shooter to have equal access to the trigger the wide trigger was introduced.  Below one can see that this wide trigger is not serial numbered so it is concluded that someone brought his gun to the armory and had it added.  Much like the "V" or "U" cut for the rear sight.  The Swiss shooters believed the "U" shaped rear sight was more effective and had the armory cut the sight for accuracy.

Above we see where this was a military delivered gun, by serial number in 1903 as 4th variation (fluted thumb safety) and along with the Swiss Cross is the acceptance stamp of Major Vogelsang.  The pins are all nitre blued and the grip safety is serial numbered.

On the Left we can see the toggle in the fully extended recoil with the "B" "U" proof on the 1st toggle link. On the Right is the close up of the toggle lock unique to the 1900 which held the toggle in place until the gun was fired beginning the rearward movement of the barrel assembly.

There is evidence that the Swiss would enlarge the rear sight by converting it to a "U" instead of a "V".  Some writers say the small Swiss cross in front of the sight indicates this is mark of the change but here we have a very early military accepted gun and the rear sight is still a "V", unaltered. Here you can see the small grip safety only found on the truly early 1900 manufactured guns. According to records this serial number was delivered in 1903.  This one is truly a classic.

It is entirely subjective to give any Luger a rating of excellent or fine, just as it is to declare it xx% blued or strawed. Few Lugers are out of the box new and these are premium priced. Bluing percentages is like Beauty, in the eye of the beholder.  We strive to provide pictures so you can judge for yourself if the gun meets your criteria.


There is considerable debate among collectors over the 'military proofs' on some but not all of Swiss Lugers. Research indicates that the guns inspected by the Swiss and finished in Berlin were marked with the Swiss Cross of Geneva on the gun.  In 1909 the Swiss had adopted the new crest consisting of the Swiss Cross on the heraldic shield. Luger #9051 was the first "Shield & Cross".  To insure deliveries, the factory in Berlin shipped Lugers to Eidgenössische Waffenfabrik in Bern "in the white" with only the DWM Logo. These Lugers were numbered and inspected by the  Swiss (Major Vogelsang) and then blued.  These bear the additional proof with the Cross/V for their finish inspector.


This early (1903) Swiss Military Luger represents the Classic Luger with the pencil thin barrel and 120mm length in a 7.65mm caliber. It is an all matching Swiss Parabellum with a Swiss Holster.    Any questions to This rare variation is offered for $7,500.00 to the advanced investor/collector.