Archived-NOT FOR SALE
1932 (Undated) Simson 

PHOENIX INVESTMENT ARMS - PREMIUM COLLECTOR LUGERS
Genuine German Luger - Largest Variety of Lugers Offered
Home | Post WWI DWM | Erfurt Lugers | Mauser | Simson Suhl | Krieghoff | Vickers, Ltd | Swiss Bern | Other Guns
Bottom of Page

This is a 1932's Simson & Co., Luger made for the German Military.  It is 9mm with a 4" barrel length and is fantastically proofed. This Parabellum has all matching serial numbers to include matching, original grips. Serial number placement is in the military ("exposed") style. The thumb safety is marked "Gesichert" and extractor "Geladen."  The barrel is numbered and proofed and matches the frame. This Simson comes with a holster, proofed loading tool, a second matching magazine.  (1574)

Photographs are copyrighted, all rights reserved, any extraction, reproduction or display of gun pictures without the express consent of the Phoenix Investment Arms is strictly prohibited. Thank you for your cooperation.

 

Simson & Co., were the designated sole producers of the Parabellum after WWI. Simson began producing Lugers for the Weimar Republic from April 1, 1924 until March 31, 1934. Hence the 1925-1926 chamber dates. Some people write that dated Simpsons' are all re-works; others indicate that after the initial supply of parts from Erfurt were expended Simson built their own. No Simson worker nor documentation has survived to verify all the antidotal history, so we have to surmise most of our information from collective inspections of various guns attributed to Simson and their multitude of identifying proofs.

The recent book by Edward Tinker and Graham Johnson, The Simson Luger has attempted to document by profusely illustrating the development of the Simson Luger and provides extensive research into this most prized collector Parabellum.  This is a marvelous gun to study for all the proofs it provides.

 

This Simson has all the Eagle/6 Simson 1st & 2nd proofs plus Weimar acceptance marks. There are several indications this was a Parabellum made from both Erfurt parts and Simson produced parts. The first toggle link is marked with the "S" monogram and the beveled edges reveal DWM manufacture vs. the later Simson toggle link that was more square. The lower grip area also has the pronounced toe on the front of the frame; subsequently reduced in the Erfurt to Simson production.

The serial number appears on the front of the frame, on the left side of the receiver, under the barrel and the last two digits on most small parts. All serials match not including the magazine that is correct with all proofs. There are inspector marks all over the weapon in a variety of eagle 6 stamps. Most prominent is the Eagle 6 Simpson Military First Inspection proof. Proof marks are well struck and clearly visible.

The tale remains in the proofs. Note above the 1st and 2nd Military proofs, and then the Weimar (Dove of Peace) final acceptance proof; all finely struck and good examples. The final acceptance stamp also appears on the front toggle. Also note the Weimar acceptance Eagle; multiple serial numbers and Weimar proof on the breechblock.

Note the proof on the back of the trigger and the magazine release. Simson was not to be upstaged by the proofing of their presumed predecessor the Royal Arsenal at Erfurt.

 

Simson & Co., manufactured Lugers for the German Military from 1922 to 1934 in Suhl Germany. This weapon shows no evidence of being a re-work or just assembled by Simson from DWM or Erfurt parts.  As with most Lugers, the tale of the gun is in its proofs and these Simson proofs place it as a newly manufactured gun made on or after 1932.

 

The holster was modified from a early police holster with the strap and stud closure to a military holster with the strap & buckle. During this period Germany was in the grips of the great depression and burdened by reparations sought by the Allies for WWI.  Nothing was discarded but converted to new use. This All matching Simson & Co Luger comes with a proofed Weimar military holster, a Eagle 6 proofed loading tool and a second matching magazine.

The holster is uniformly marked on the back with the manufacturers cartouche, the 1936 date stamp and the Waffenamt stamp between the belt loops. This holster is fully functional with the leather still subtle and the stitching is white.  This is a marvelous rig of late date Simson military rig.

This is a very clean Luger and an excellent collectors piece with all the historic proofs and a complete military rig. The thumb safety is marked "Gesichert" and when exposed (safety down) means safe.

Here is visible the four digit serial number, the exact caliber, and the 1st Military parts proof on the front trigger guard and on the locking bolt lever.  The barrel reveals the serial number and gauge markings while the frame has both the early Stage I & II proofs. On the right the matching magazine has the Eagle 6 proof while the bottom of the rear frame has two E/6 proofs.
You can see the proof on the left screw and the excellent conditions of the grips. The Luger has the short sear and no sear safety; since Simson made no civilian weapons this was a military intended manufacturer.

 

The Simson Luger association was a by-product of the Treaty of Versailles. Then as the only producer of Lugers, Simson inherited (bought?) all the parts, dies and equipment of the Erfurt Arsenal after the First World War. Simson was reluctant when selected to be the only producer recognized to produce the Parabellum. Jeanette Simson (1847-1926) who was a senior partner of the firm, had lost her brother-in-law in the 1870 Franco-Prussian war was strongly opposed to the production of any instruments of war.

 

The Simson contract ran from 1923 to be renewed annually which mostly covered the re-work of military pistols, The 1925 contract with the Reichswehrministerium (Rw.M)   1934 ending with the "S" marked toggle code.  There were only approximately 12,000 Simson P-08's produced on this contract with the numbering beginning in 1925 with 1 to approximately 2000a.

Simson Serial Numbering ran from 1 to below 600 on "1925" dated the Simson  guns and below 700 for the "1926" dated guns. Simson Parabellum after serial number 700 were undated and bore two-line Simson toggle up to approximately 10000 when the "S" Code toggle was introduced in 1934.  There are no records indicating the annual delivery of Lugers to the Reichswehr, however extrapolation would put production at around 1932.

With a plethora of proof marks in both Stage I and Stage II throughout the gun on all the parts is truly amazing.  One can spend hours finding every detailed part proofed. The extractor is marked Geladen and tells the shooter when the gun is loaded both by sight and feel in the dark.

00

When Adolph Hitler became Chancellor of Germany on January 30, 1933 the Suhl manufacturers led by Fritz Walther brought to the German Government the accusation that Simson was profiteering from its advantage as the sole producer of the Luger.  While Simson won in the Court of Audit it was then alleged that they were bribing government officials. In 1934 HwaA transferred the contract from Simson to Mauser. In 1933-34 the company was forced to convert to a limited partnership "Berlin-Suhler Waffen und Fahreugwerke, Simson & Co", with government trustees having a final say in the business. Simson & Mayers were prepared to refute this but a considerable bond was required which they jumped to Switzerland in 1936 and came to the US.

 

Above Left: The thumb safety has the serial number on the top of the thumb safety and the Eagle 6 proof on the bottom. Above Right: The magazine has the Stage I and Stage II proofs on the bottom and the early small proof on the spine of the sleeve.

The thumb safety has the serial number on top and the Simson Eagle 6 on the bottom. Even the grip screws are proofed  making this an extraordinary example of the early '30s Simson manufactured Luger. Above right the matching magazines have both the Stage I and Stage II proof plus are marked on the bottom along with the serial number and suffix (a).

Simson's, due to their limited production and fine quality have become recognized for their investment value by collectors much like the Krieghoff.  If one is to have any Simson in their collection this would be the one. If you are a Simson collector you would know how difficult it is to find one of these undated "S" models in this fine of condition. This Luger has been cared for over 85 years now. It is looking for a good home.

Simson Lugers by Tinker & Johnson list serial numbers on page 101 in which this model falls for the "S" Toggle. They further rate the "rareness" of the variations with the 1925 being first, the 1925 being second, undated unit marked and then the "S" toggle.   Truly a wonderful find for the Simson collector.

 

It is difficult to determine the actual date of production.  We know from the serial number of the later guns (1888a known).  Without the rear main axel pin being numbered which was ordered in 1932 and implemented in 1933 puts that gun at the latest a 1932 model. Taken over by the German Government not much of the documentation remained and Suhl was in the Soviet Zone after the war and they stole and removed everything and anything they suspected of value. 

 

On the Left is the E/6 proof on the loading tool, a Simson proofed part, in itself, a treasure for the collectors. Note the Eagle /6 on the side plate, licking lever, (below), on the extractor, side of the frame and the Weimar proof on the left side of  the barrel.

On the back of the trigger and the rear of the magazine release is the Eagle 6 Simson Proof. Above Right: Note the Eagle 6 proof on the bottom of the thumb safety.  These small proofs follow the pattern of the early Erfurt and the 1910 order for proof marks.

The rear toggle is also proofed and serial numbered to the gun. There is the "V" rear sight on the last toggle link and it has a stock lug and Geladen (Loaded) on the extractor.

The grips are serial numbered to the gun.  The magazine is proofed with the Simson  Eagle 6.    In 1932 the Reichswat Ser #10,000 the 2nd toggle changed to "S". (Below) you can see the craftsmanship present in the machined parts, all serial number, all matching.

Simson & Co., received the machinery from the Royal Arsenal at Erfurt and apparently some of the tradesman that worked at the Erfurt factory.  The method of proofing every part is reminiscent of the Erfurt's where no detail was too small.  What a wonderful gun to study.

This Luger has been well cared for over the years and properly stored in a private collection. It shows the care and preservation that can bring one of these rare guns to us today in minty condition.

See Simson Lugers by Tinker & Johnson  P 101. Grtz & Sturgess Volume II Page 560-561

 

It is entirely subjective to give any Luger a rating of excellent or fine, just as it is to declare it xx% blued or strawed. Few Lugers are out of the box new and these are premium priced. Bluing percentages is like Beauty, in the eye of the beholder. We strive to provide pictures so you can judge for yourself if the gun meets your criteria. If you need additional pictures to complete your buying decisions then direct Questions to: josef@phoenixinvestmentarms.com

 

This are a very difficult Luger to find. Limited production during the late 20's and early 1930's of only 12,000 guns makes it highly desirable. Their rarity has been acknowledged by collectors have made Simson's a good investment gun.  If there are any questions email  josef@phoenixinvestmentarms.com

 

Home | New Additions | 1900-06 | WWI Imperial | Carbines | Artillery | Imperial Navy | Police Models | Archived Lugers | Accessories
Sell Your Gun | Notices | Good Info (C&R) | Ordering | Contact Us | Gun Shows | Legal Stuff | Testimonials | Notices | Holsters | Books

Top of Page

© Copyright 2001-2016  Phoenix Investment Arms Inc.